Our preferred remedies for sleeping are listed below:
- Lavender: According to a recent study, lavender can increase your sleep quality by 20%. Lavender is effectively a natural relaxant, of which there are many others of course, including camomile tea which contains similar mood relaxing properties. However, it does not make you fall asleep like the old wives tales allude to doing. Next time before bed, try putting a dab of diluted essential oil on your wrists, burning some oil in a diffuser or set a candle with pure lavender infused into it.
- Vetiver: By helping relax the mind and body, vetiver is a great sleeping aid. With such a deep and earthy scent, vetiver is very good at calming both the mind and the body, helping you to fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer. It has the ability to give the restless mind peace. Try adding a small drop to your favorite essential oil blend, be careful, this oil is very pungent and can easily overpower a room.
- Ylang Ylang: Traditionally, the ylang ylang flower was used to cover the beds of newlywed couples on their wedding night, because it is said that this powerful oil helps to balance male and female energies, supports focus and restores peace. It is believed, once the peace is restored, the body will relax and sleep more soundly.
- Bergamot: Known for being one of the best natural sleep remedies, bergamot allows for total relaxation and restful feelings. Bergamot technically is a peel from an exotic fruit that smells like the common citrus scent. This potent citrus smell makes you feel refreshed and it calms your emotions to give you the euphoric feeling of a calm spirit because it is rich in linalool and linalyl acetate. Try putting a couple drops into your diffuser or rub a few drops of properly diluted bergamot essential oil onto the bottoms of your feet.
- Sandalwood: Throughout the ages, sandalwood has been heralded as a potent sleep aid and remedy for insomnia. Inhaling a concentration of santalols causes a sedative effect and increases the duration of non-REM sleep, which is particularly beneficial for those who have trouble staying asleep. Sandalwood enters the body best through inhaling, so try it in your diffuser the next time you are having trouble sleeping.
- Marjoram: It brings calm to a busy mind and quiet to restless thoughts. Some even argue that is is a better tool for insomnia than lavender is. Most effective as an inhalant, try putting a few drops on the corner of your pillow for bedtime.